An Optifast Beginning...

It's Starting!

On Monday I had my first group meeting.  After taking a couple of months to do the medical testing and body analysis process, I walked into the Positive Choice Wellness Center in San Diego to pay my weekly group fee and weigh in.  I collect my bag filled with my water and the classroom resources, the notebook "A Way In Guidebook" and the program text book Maximize Your Body Potential: Lifetime Skills for Successful Weight Management (3rd ed.) by Joyce D. Nash, PhD.  I settled in their wide cushy seats and chatted with another member.  It's the same lady I connected with while waiting to do the body assessment and review my medical tests.  She's done the program before but things have happened in her life and she's back to get on track.

At the medical appointment with the PA, I discovered that I AM pre-diabetic now with a risk factor for gout. Both of these medical issues run in my family, both sides of the illustrious genetic tree.  I kind of expected the diabetic warning, but definitely was surprised that my uric levels were elevated.  Now, I've been recovering from a miscarriage in December of 2012, so it is possible that my body is just reacting to all of the hormonal and physical upheavals.  The emotional toll of facing my health risks started to build and the anxiety and fear of not taking the weight off began to "weigh heavily" on my mind.  After that appointment, the clock starts to tick until that first group meeting.  I started to think of all the food that I would need to quickly enjoy before I would have to eat the same liquid nourishment for the next twenty-plus weeks.  I weighed in that day at 251.5 and quickly ballooned up to 261.5 from all of my "last meals."  They warned me not to do that, but I ignored them and did as I pleased.  

Herein lies the rub.  I wanted to start this program at the beginning of the year with my new medical insurance, Kaiser Permanente.  Of course, every new year has the "Resolutioners" and things are really busy with other individuals wanting to make better choices and a healthier future.  Because of the demand, I had to wait for a group to open up as they are limited to 12 to 24 individuals.  I had told my husband that if he wanted to eat, he would need to cook or he could join me and lose some weight.  He has his own medical issues and goals, so he decided to join - begrudgingly.  He has a different insurance carrier than myself and so he has to pay out of pocket.  He and I both went to the orientation together, but because of our different work schedules, he was able to get into the medical testing and body assessment faster, therefore he was placed in an earlier group and started two weeks before me.

I watched him go to the first meeting and come back.  He shared the materials and told me what to expect (I'll share that a little later).  He filled out his Daily Behavior Records (DBRs) during the first week in preparation of getting his product (shakes, soups, fiber, and potassium pills).  Now mind you, I'm trying to contain my excitement to start and have to had to watch him head off on his weight loss journey without me.  He's my pathfinder, but I have to admit that I was a little jealous and angry.  This had been my idea and now I had to wait for two weeks longer than my husband! I am extremely grateful that he did because I can see what I am in for, but I wanted to walk with him, rather than behind.

Now, he's been on the full fast for a week and has lost fourteen pounds in 10 days.  He's had some gurgling in the tummy and the ketosis is setting in.  He has been fatigued and at times a little "touchy." On Sunday (his 7th day), our lemon tree was filled with heavy fruit and one of the limbs broke off.  I took care of chopping everything down and harvesting the lemons, so I asked him to put the foliage in our green waste bin while I went to a family dinner.    He had to stay home while I went to a family birthday celebration because of the dinner and dessert.  At first, he thought he would be able to go, but the closer the day came, he started to doubt his stamina and resolve.  Instead of being tempted, he created boundaries, wished the family member well and stayed home.  I'm proud of him for protecting himself and his efforts, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I missed him.  Unfortunately, while doing the honey-do chore while I was partying, he got nauseous and threw up because he did too much physically.  When they warn you not to exert yourself too much, they have a reason. o.O

So on Monday evening, I went to my first meeting and got my marching orders.  I had to read four chapters in the text and start my DBR.  I'll share that information in another post as this is becoming a novel. ;)

Cheers,
L

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WtR: Day 4: Detox Salt, Sugar, Fat and Caffeine

WtR: Day 3: Sex and more of it...

WtR: Day 2: Exercise